Some years are "make new friends" years
and some years are "keep the old" years.
2014 was a "make new friends" year.
On the plane home yesterday,
I couldn't believe
how many people there are
that I love dearly
that I didn't know existed
So on the plane,
I wrote one sentence
for every person
that I met this year
that I love
in some way.
If you're not sure
whether it's about you,
that is is.
- Amy, for being good at talking and listening.
- Andrea, for liking me immediately.
- Betsy, for sitting in church next to me when I’m crabby.
- Brittney, for giving Relief Society lessons that make you want to learn.
- Brooke, for not talking to anyone with me at church activities.
- Bryce, for being handsome not just because of his name, but because he gets a kick out of life.
- Bryce, for knowing I won’t judge him when there’s a naked person on tv.
- Caleb, for being the only boy who understands how to send out wedding announcements.
- Camilla, for being more interesting than almost everyone else.
- Carlo, for doing better than anyone could have asked and still wanting to improve.
- Chelsea, for looking through eyes of faith.
- Christopher, for treating me like we were better friends than I thought we were.
- Claire, for bringing more joy into this world than maybe any other person.
- Dan, for hating JFK and loving The Crucible.
- Davi, for always turning up at the right moment.
- Denver, for volunteering to take the group picture, even though we want him to be in it.
- Derek, for wearing the greatest sweaters and putting up with me.
- Elise, for loving bluegrass.
- Ellie, for forgiving.
- Emily, for being Juli Baker.
- Emily, for being more thoughtful than any person should.
- Emma, for being good to the ones she loves.
- Geoff, for explaining things with rich depth.
- Heather, for being the cool aunt.
- Holly, for making everyone feel like what they said is really worthwhile.
- Howie, for moving into an apartment because the guys there didn't have a video game console.
- James, for making you feel worthwhile when he talks to you.
- Jared, for making me feel like I belonged at his birthday party.
- Jared, for visibly taking time to be friendly.
- Joe, for offering to drive and to make tea.
- Jonathan, for making the greatest scripture jokes.
- Jonny, for caring about probably everyone.
- Julio, for calling me “Boys Like Moyes.”
- Junior, for smiling.
- Kaitlin, for always remembering the kind thing to do.
- Katie, for making going home mean something.
- Kerriann, for being the easiest person in the world to welcome into your heart.
- Kristen, for being able to love instantly.
- Kristen, for saying “Rachel Moyes!” like just saying it gives her joy.
- Kylie, for being the best person to take to a dance party.
- Kylie, for starting sentences with “You guys!”
- Lauren, for saying things that make sense.
- Mariah, for cleaning the house with me at the end of the summer.
- Marlena, for going to bed early and not apologizing for it.
- McKenzie, for being vulnerable.
- Mike, for being my friend, no questions asked.
- Paloma, for working harder than I ever have at anything.
- Robin, for saying, “I missed you today,” so I know she means it.
- Sammi, for volunteering for everything.
- Sammy, for leaving spaces and interactions more beautiful than she found them.
- Sarah, for doing good in just a few months’ time.
- Sarah, for treating every experience like she has something to gain from it.
- Scott, for thinking all the same things sound fun as I do.
- Shannon, for making everyone feel like they’re important to her.
- Taila, for having a lot of love and giving it out.
- Tatiana, for treating everyone like they’re interesting.
- Taylor, for always having half a smirk on his face.
- Tim, for being the pleasantest person in the world to run into unexpectedly.
- Thad, for working at The Road Home.
- Wes, for possibly thinking I’m funnier than I do.
- Will, for not being mad when I ran into his scooter.
- Zac, for swearing on the top of Mount Timpanogos.
(To be honest, I don't know some of these people.)
(If you didn't see your name on here,
I promise I still have a head full
of sentences about you.)